Clothing for cross-country skiing allows for skiers to stay comfortably warm but not overheat
Here are the basics you will need for practices:
- Layers are key. Skiers often warm up quickly and shed layers, which they can leave at their country flag during practice.
- Wool or synthetic socks
- Cross country ski pants can be worn over long underwear or tights to provide warmth and flexibility. We recommend the Swix universal or equivalent. We like these pants because they have side zippers, are breathable and water resistant.
- Long underwear or leggings
- Synthetic top covered by fleece and/or a lightweight jacket (like our team jacket)
- Flexible Mittens or XC gloves. Make sure mittens fit inside ski straps. Hand warmers help.
- A Buff. One that can be pulled up over the mouth for cold conditions.
- A hat. Team hats and buffs in our team pattern are available at a reasonable rate. Contact Dana Christensen, the clothing coordinator for more information.
- Protective eyewear. We require that all skiers wear protective eyewear while racing and we strongly encourage protective eyewear for all practices. Safety glasses from any hardware store work well
- Club clothing options. EMXC Youth has team race suits and jackets available. More information on these options will be available at the opening dinner. Remember to look at the clothing page of the used equipment list as you might find just the item you need.